- 01. Canned Food Demons
- 02. Dorothy's A Planet
- 03. Tattoo Mission
- 04. Keep Me Down
- 05. Big O Gets An Earful
- 06. Catherine From Mid October
- 07. Headache Revolution
- 08. Slyph
- 09. UFO Love Letters
- 10. Lake Of Fire
- 11. Queen of Stormy Weather
- 12. The Town That's After Me
- 13. Sight On Sight
- 14. Heavy Crown
The Planets Are Blasted
Robert Pollard, sequestered in Dayton, Ohio for nearly 2 years without touring, has concentrated on his songwriting and the results show. And Slusarenko and Moen have never been so impressive.
The nuanced and transcendent rock album culminates in an extraordinary side 2 with four of Pollard\'s best yet:
- the majestic and metaphorical \"Queen of Stormy Weather\" who threatens to \"pee on my parade.\"
- \"The Town That\'s After Me\" combines acoustic, electric guitar and strings to stunning effect.
- \"Sight On Sight,\" a 4-minute mini-epic, detours to otherworldly chants, echoes and drones, sitars, handrums and tambourines, but rocks like heck.
- the verse of \"Heavy Crown\" is melodically reminiscent of the Guided By Voices hit \"Everywhere With Helicopter\", but Pollard ups the ante with an even better chorus and then goes over the top with a still catchier refrain.
Another Pollard classic.
vocals / songwriting - ROBERT POLLARD
guitars/bass - CHRIS SLUSARENKO (GBV ca. 2004, Sprinkler)
drums - JOHN MOEN (Decemberists, Elliott Smith)
Guests include a string trio, Greg Demos (GBV 1990-99), Gary Jarman (The Cribs) and Chris Funk (The Decemberists).