Martin Ng (Grob, Staubgold - Turntables + DJ tools) and
Mathias Gmachl (FARMERSMANUAL, SKOT, FUCKHEAD - real time data processing).
gcttcatt reference many tactics familiar to the \'movement\' seekers of this overly documented world. We can see the headlines now! - \"turntablism dsp\", \"hyperkinetic hands on beat boy meets doppler shredding maker\" or maybe \"crab scratch tackles electroacoustic evidence in cross continent battle blitz!\"
Regardless of potential pockets it\'s in the outer where gcttcatt reside. Taking time to spit fury, often enveloped split-axe like (inside a realm channelled through Schaeffer, Xenakis, Marclay, Q-bert and the like). This disorienting duo practice an extreme exploration of their chosen tools. What becomes of such activities when they fold into one united, albeit fractured mass, is what makes this release so damn special! The relationship between machine + man is blurred on numerous counts via the symbiotic set up of \'live\' turntablism meets \'real time\' processing meets virtual turntablism - ( ie: the violent skips of Ng\'s restless stylus\' morphs into splinters of feisty electroacoustics courtesy of Hiaz\' acoustic modelling program).
Taking an easy route one can cite:
• inward / outward turntable-acoustics (think cells, thick cells, thin cells)
• virtual equipment - midnight dual with land and hand battle tactics.
• detached syntax - yards of shards
• hyperkinetic improvisation
• schizophrenic mechanical duality
• fuzzy robotics
• aching turns: fluctuate, vary, waver, flounder, flicker, flitter, flit, flutter, shift, shuffle, shake, totter, tremble, vacillate, wamble, turn and turn about, ring the changes; sway to and fro, change and change about
All works here were recorded in Vienna (September 2000) and Melbourne (February 2000).
As music as it gets!