The Life & Times of Jimmy Martin
The film crew followed Martin on tour for two years, capturing unique moments backstage, onstage, and on the road – giving the viewer an inside look at one of bluegrass music’s most enigmatic and influential forefathers.
King of Bluegrass includes vintage photos, unreleased live recordings, and rare historical footage. The 20-song soundtrack traces Martin’s career from his early days with bluegrass pioneer Bill Monroe to recently recorded electrifying performances with his Sunny Mountain Boys.
Includes interviews with Ralph Stanley, Marty Stuart, Tom T. Hall, Bill Emerson, JD Crowe, Paul Williams, and more.
* Bonus Footage
* Interview with Director
* Timeline of Jimmy Martin’s life and career
* Decca LP Discography
* Gravestone and Bonus Recording
* Roots of Bluegrass Section (combo of music, history, and photos traces the developments that led to bluegrass music)
* Bios on key people in the film
For more information on the film, as well as the man himself, be sure to check out the excellent King of Bluegrass official website.
King of Bluegrass
is an ‘Official Selection’
of the following Film
- 34th Annual Nashville Film Festival
- Maryland Film Festival
- Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival (Winner of Special Jury Award)
- Sound Unseen Film Festival
- 15th Annual New Orleans Film Festival
- 18th Annual Fort Lauderdale Film Festival
- CMJ Film Fest
- Indie Memphis Film Festival
- Asheville Film Festival
- Reel Music Film Festival (Portland, OR)
-Peter Cooper, Nashville Tennessean
Martin is one of the
characters in the
history of American
-Bobby Reed, Chicago Sun Times
-Barry Mazor, No Depression
chronicles the 53-year
career in bluegrass
music of the genre’s
most colorful and
"He’s a loose cannon,
prone to intense
displays of emotion
-Peter Margasak, Chicago Reader
"A Juicy Portrait"
-Jim Ridley, Nashville Scene